According to, the American Diabetes Association suffer 25.8 million adults and children on diabetes. This is not the millions that go undetected. Properly this chronic health condition is not, it can cause blindness, neuropathy, skin infections, kidney disease, heart disease, stroke, and amputation. In addition to adequate medical treatment and exercise are important healthy meal ideas to help you manage diabetes.
Insulin is a hormone that your body needs use glucose for energy. If you suffer with diabetes, the body is not able to make or use insulin. If there is not enough of this hormone in your body, glucose in the blood and causes increased blood sugar levels.
Risk factors for diabetes
• Family history – a close relatives such as brothers and sisters with diabetes increased the risk of getting the condition.
• Obesity obese is disrupts the body’s ability to use insulin, and contributes to diabetes.
• Is the pancreas diseases of the pancreas – responsible for the production of insulin. Any condition that this organ is affected can produce insulin to hinder and cause diabetes.
• Adult – Hispanics, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Indian, Pacific Islanders and Alaska natives are an increased risk of diabetes.
• Insulin resistance insulin resistance causes the pancreas to work harder to produce insulin and leads often to type 2 diabetes.
• History of gestational diabetes are women have suffered during pregnancy with gestational diabetes a greater risk for developing type 2 diabetes later on down the line.
• Lack of exercise – lack of exercise contributes to obesity and increase the risk of diabetes.
• Age: older than 45 increases the risk of diabetes.
Choosing the right food for healthy meals
Their nutritional needs change because you are suffering with diabetes. Have more protein, carbohydrates, iron and other nutrients in your diet. Therefore, it is important that you eat a variety of healthy foods every day.
Carbohydrates increase your blood sugar levels, so if you’re diabetic, need to monitor your daily carbohydrate intake to. Typically, during a meal, 45 to 60 grams of carbohydrates is attached. However, everyone is different. Your doctor will work with you, help to find out the appropriate amount of carbohydrates needed to regulate your blood sugar levels.
All your carbs should come from healthy sources such as vegetables, fruits, and dry beans. Avoid processed carbohydrates such as pasta, biscuits, bread, rice, cake, and cookies. These types of carbohydrates in the body to digest quickly and to increase your blood sugar levels.
Your diabetes diet are also important protein and healthy fats. Good sources of protein include organic chicken, fish and eggs. Healthy sources of fat include avocados, coconut oil, olive oil and fish. Avoid foods that contain trans fat, because they increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
It is estimated that 10 percent of people suffers with type 1 diabetes with celiac disease. If foods that contain gluten can eat, people with this disease it can cause unpleasant symptoms and damage to the intestines.
If you suffer from celiac disease, must follow a gluten-free diet. With this type of diet, avoid all foods, the wheat, barley and rye contain.
Healthy meal ideas for diabetics
• Gluten free meatloaf, steamed green beans
• Burgers and spinach beef salad with celery, cauliflower and cucumber.
• Beef steak with steamed carrots and cauliflower
• Grilled chicken, carrots, lettuce and vinegar and olive oil dressing.
• Fried salmon, green beans, baked potatoes and butter.
Healthy meals are planning to make it easier to create your own cookbooks. So, can you to print recipes from online sources and to bring in a binder. Experiment with ingredients to create unique recipes is also a good idea.